BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Leonard Spock Nimoy says Oscar snub of Star Trek' is illogicalOne of the most beloved aliens in the pop-culture universe will touch down in Seattle th

One of the most beloved aliens in the pop-culture universe will touch down in Seattle this weekend.

As "Star Trek's" Spock, Leonard Nimoy has been changing perceptions for decades, making it cool to be different. The 79-year-old guest stars Saturday and Sunday at Emerald City ComiCon, a comic-book and pop-culture convention that attracts thousands of fans every year.

Recently, he talked to The Seattle Times, taking silly Spock questions in stride.

Q: How do you feel about passing the torch of Spock to Zachary Quinto, who plays a young version of the character in the 2009 remake of "Star Trek"?

A: I enjoyed it thoroughly. I thought that it had a wonderful script, a great cast, wonderful people. Zachary Quinto, I think was a wonderful actor. ... I was very flattered with how the character was written, with great dignity and strength and purpose and intelligence. I'm very pleased that the character is in good hands.

Q: Do you think "Star Trek" was robbed at Oscars?

A: It's sad that "Star Trek" has been so unrecognized over so many years. I was delighted that at least it won a makeup award. ... I think that I'm correct in saying that that's the first Academy Award that "Star Trek" has ever won. ... There've been some wonderful achievements in technology, in special effects, photography and story ... but "Avatar" was an enormous accomplishment as a motion picture and still it did not win best director or best film.

Q: How do you feel about being typecast as the super-rational Spock?

A: I've always thought of myself as a character actor. I never saw myself as a leading man, or romantic lead kind of guy. ... On the other hand, there are certain types of roles people would expect I would be able to manage and I take that as a good thing. ... Ever since "Star Trek" went on the air, I haven't had any problems finding work, so for me, typecasting was a good thing. I found a niche for myself as an actor.

Q: What is your personal balance between logic and emotion?

A: (laughs for a while) That's just funny. (more raucous laughing) I've worked on that balance all the time. (more laughing)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/12/1526151/leonard-spock-nimoy-says-oscar.html

0 comments: