BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Former Make A Wish Kid and Star Trek Producers Team up to Fundraise For the Foundation

- When Michael Ferris turned 15, he got his first kidney transplant. When he turned 17, he got his first video camera from the Make A Wish Foundation. And at 23, he helped his first screenwriter sell their script to New Line Studios.

News Image

After a few years of helping aspiring screenwriters like Christopher Waild, who now writes for the CBS show "NCIS," he started a company called Script A Wish. The sole mission was to help filmmakers get their work directly into the hands of industry players that could make their dreams a reality.

While a portion of proceeds have been going to the Make A Wish Foundation, Michael decided it wasn't enough.

"While I aspire to help as many filmmakers as I can, I wanted to take an entire month and fundraise for the people who made my own dreams a reality," Ferris said.

Hot off the release of their hit movie Star Trek, Ferris called his friends at director J.J. Abram's production company, Bad Robot. They agreed to donate their time by doing "pitch calls" with amateur filmmakers and donating Star Trek items to be auctioned off by The Make A Wish Foundation.

"I jumped at the chance to help. It's a rare thing for unknown filmmakers to pitch movie ideas to us, so we hope this will help drum up more money to be donated to Make A Wish," said Bad Robot's Kevin Jarzynski.

Abrams said that he was inspired to help.
"My wife and I are very active with our charity work, so when I heard about what Michael was doing I immediately started signing posters," Abrams said. "We're looking forward to helping the Make A Wish Foundation."

Bard Dorros, a manager at a Hollywood powerhouse management firm, said that Script A Wish can be instrumental to a screenwriter's big break.
"The fastest way for an unknown to get their work read by someone like me, is through Ferris," Dorros said. "I trust his taste, so when Michael gives me a script, I know it's something I have to read."

For more information, visit www.scriptawish.com.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/06/prweb2508504.htm

0 comments: