BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, August 28, 2009

Coming clean on "Star Trek"

have seen “Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan” at least a hundred times.

I own three versions of “Star Trek: The Motion Picture”: a VHS tape, a DVD and special “Director’s Cut” DVD, even though it is arguably one of the worst Trek films ever made.

I still get pumped when Commander Riker stares down a Borg ship and orders “Fire!” at the end of the Season Three cliffhanger of the TV series, “Star Trek: The Next Generation.”

I have seen the new movie twice (and counting).

I own two “Star Trek” encyclopedias (yes, they make those) and one “Starfleet Technical Manual” (as if I’m gonna need to change a flat on my starship anytime soon).

The point is, I know my Trek.

That’s part of the reason I recently jumped at the chance to explore the logic (or lack thereof) of a proposed a Starfleet Academy — at N.C. A&T

John Hood of the John Locke Foundation apparently shares my passion.

John announces in his current column that he is ceasing a run of old “Star Trek” titles (or slight variations of them for his columns on North Carolina politics.

John and I once debated on this blog the politics of Trek versus “Star Wars.”

For the record, I’m still right and he’s still wrong.

And I haven’t asked, but I would be shocked if John didn’t have some input into the Civitas Institute’s Trek parody lampooning the Star Fleet Academy idea.

Update: John Hood replies:

"Nope. I was outraged that they didn’t give me a chance to respond, on behalf of my hero Earl Jones."

http://www.news-record.com/blog/55771/entry/68249

0 comments: