BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hey, Man, Leave Star Trek Alone!

I’m hungover and cranky this morning because someone forced me to do multiple shots of Jaegermeister last night while listening to music blasting at mega-decible levels. I had no choice. My family was hostage, and therefore I had to submit to this torture. I took it like a man.


Anyway, since I’m hungover and cranky and I simply cannot face dealing with political stuff at this moment - and if I read one more glowing tribute to Ted Kennedy I’m gonna barf and that has nothing to do with Jaegermeister - I thought I’d address this really cool article by John Scalzi in which he tells us what he finds wrong with Star Trek.


I like Star Trek. I’m not exactly a “Trekkie” but it’s been a joy from start to finish and now, a joy with the new beginning and new characters of a younger Kirk and Spock. I went to see the new movie with a jaundiced eye. How dare they commit the blasphemy of having someone else play the iconic roles of the Enterprise’s Captain and First Officer? But - it was a damn good movie, much to my delight.


Okay, so kick me. I like Star Trek.


Anyway, there have always been some inconsistencies with the show, and Scalzi points some of them out for us in a good humored way, from the flimsy concept of the first movie (I always thought the whole V-ger thing was a bit lame as well, but, hey I was just glad to see Star Trek back on the screen. And I liked the bald chick) to the rather odd switching of uniforms from movie to movie.


One thing he missed: In the original series the ship would fire its phasers on the bad guys, thus messing up their day. Did you ever notice that those beams of light went different directions, left and right, as they left the ship? How did they ever hit anyone like that? Just asking, and I didn’t care anyway. It was fun. I managed to overlook the fact that every single alien in the galaxy spoke perfect English, too.


Anyway, it’s a fun article, so check it out. In the meantime, live long and prosper. I’ll just be happy to find some aspirin and choke them down with black coffee. Ack.

http://www.kxmc.com/News/Nation/428438.asp

0 comments: