BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Patrick Stewart Says He Was Handicapped by the Success of Star Trek

The Independent just posted a very extensive interview with Star Trek The Next Generation star Patrick Stewart and here are few excerpts.

"The past five years have been the best years of my life and career," he tells me, something he attributes to his return to England and the theatre in 2003. By this point, he had been living in Los Angeles for nigh-on 17 years. After arriving to play Picard in 1987 for a show many advised him would be cancelled after one year, he wound up completing seven seasons and four films. Added to this, he landed the plum role of Professor Charles Xavier in Bryan Singer's comic-book blockbuster X-Men and its two sequels - and Stewart was a star. He was "living a very pleasant lifestyle", he says, and then he got a call to return to the London stage to appear in a production of Ibsen's The Master Builder.


"I took it up, not realising then how that experience would bring to the surface my discontent with the work I was doing in Hollywood and my unease about the prospects that lay ahead of me," he says. So he wasn't satisfied with appearing in the X-Men franchise? "No, no!" he cries, sounding horrified. He had even stopped buying English newspapers, for fear of seeing advertisements for plays he felt a yearning to be in. "I had come to the point when I realised it was unlikely that my film career was going to move beyond a certain level of role. And I was - because I had graphic instances of it - handicapped by the success of Star Trek. A director would say, 'I don't want Jean-Luc Picard in my movie' - and this was compounded by X-Men as well."

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/12/11/Patrick-Stewart-Says-He-Was-Handicapped-by-the-Success-of-Star-Trek.shtml

0 comments: