BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, October 26, 2009

Terilynn's Trek: Thoughts On Star Trek Cruise, 'Star Trek XII'

Could the announced delay of new film actually be a good sign?

I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in airport bars or airline clubs. The good part about that happenstance is the fact that I can whip out the laptop and begin to type my column when I tend to get what I call “The Wave.”

"The Wave" is that brainload of ideas and stuff that sometimes builds up and then begs to be let out.

As some of you know, The Husband and I participated in the Star Trek Cruise organized by StarTrekCruise.com, and attended by several Trek celebrities from "Star Trek: Voyager," "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Enterprise" – specifically, Chase Masterson, Garrett Wang, Anthony Montgomery and Gary Graham.

We. Had. A. Blast.

As I sat in Los Angeles International Airport after disembarking from the ship realizing it had taken me awhile to figure out just exactly what I want to say about the experience. That was until I reviewed it briefly with some friends at breakfast in San Pedro that morning and heard myself talking about the trip.

What surprised me was what I heard myself saying. What I truly loved about this voyage wasn’t the ability to sit next to, be around, or merely gawk at Trek actors – it was the pure and rather raw celebration of human creativity and how that related directly with the “soul of Trek.”

What I came away with wasn’t just an autograph or two and feeling like another number in the crowd, but the feeling of being truly honored to be able to share in what these wonderful people willingly offered to a very small group of fans.

I have yet to meet one single Trek performer who hasn’t had that deep-seeded need to perform and create, but these people were so obviously excited to share that we couldn’t help but get caught up in it all. Discussions, sometimes heated and zealous, started on the very first night of the cruise and the one thing we all seemed to have in common was enthusiasm.

This was the first Star Trek Cruise put on by this particular entity. Yes, being the first effort revealed that not everything was perfect and some organizational things were unfortunately kind of crazy; but in a way, those quirky imperfections only added to the absolute charm of it. The group consisted of about 25 people total, including the celebrities. Talk about an intimate experience!

On the first morning of the 7 day adventure to the Mexican Riviera, the group was informed that a couple of attendees had unfortunately missed the ship’s departure from Los Angeles’ San Pedro Harbor due to bad weather at their origination point. We were then told that they would be flying to Cabo San Lucas to meet our ship on the following day.

No less than three hours after breakfast, the captain of our ship made a very unusual announcement … we would be forced to pass by Cabo San Lucas and shift its position in the itinerary due to Tropical Storm Patricia which was moving directly upon our intended destination.

We all wondered – would the missing couple just scrub it all and go home?

As we spent our second day at sea, the poor couple made it to Cabo only to be told that they would have to fly on to Mazatlan to catch the ship. And here’s the thing – everyone – and I mean everyone in the Trek group felt absolutely horrible for missing them.

We arrived in Mazatlan on Day 3 of the cruise and thankfully, the couple boarded the ship (after several more humorous stories which I will leave for them to tell in what can only be a script-in-waiting) and they joined the family.

And that’s exactly what this felt like – a family. Trek people, whether they be performers, fans, producers, writers – whatever – are the most peculiar family. We all share an admittedly bizarre affection for a set of television shows and movies, and just when I think there must be something terribly wrong with me for enjoying the show so much, I am smacked right upside the head with the reminder – Trek people love the show and continue to love the genre because it always holds true to a core belief that Trek celebrates what's best in humanity.

This subject became the focus of a lot of our group’s discussions revolving around J. J. Abrams’ new "Star Trek" film. Not too surprisingly for a small group of devoted fans, a lot of people felt the same way I did – it was a good first effort to bring in new fans, but it can’t be considered a true-to-heart Trek film.

Many, if not all of us felt like too much of Trek’s “soul” was missing. While all of us were willing to give Abrams and his writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman one more chance at getting it right, some of us weren’t sure whether or not the men really “get it.”

So imagine my smile when yesterday I read here at Airlock Alpha that Orci and Kurtman announced that we will likely have to wait until 2012 for the 12th installment in the Trek film library.

After browsing a few Trek forums after this announcement, I found some speculation among the die-hard fans that Orci and Kurtzman may be taking their time with this script for a very, very good reason – namely – they literally can’t afford to screw this one up.

Many fans, including me, were barely able to stomach the plotholes and underdeveloped script in order to make room for the lens flares, lingerie shots and explosions in the last film. So those of us that felt that way are standing by with guarded skepticism wondering if these two men actually have it in them to create a film that really does speak to the real soul of Star Trek.

After the announcement there appears to be hope that maybe, just maybe, Orci and Kurtman might actually realize they have to write a compelling and indelible story for their next venture, or risk losing not just the new fans, but the majority of existing Trek fans as well.

Frankly, judging by their other work on "Transformers," "Mission: Impossible III," etc., I’m not so sure they have it in them. If they’re wise, I believe they should hire new writers and stick to their roles as executive producers and increase their chances of creating a real Trek film that can appeal to everyone, Trekkie and non-Trekkie alike.

If they do have it in them, they’d better come up with it now because "Star Trek XII" may very well be the last Trek film made if it doesn’t exceed the last film’s take, or worse, the fans’ heightened expectations.

If they can pull it off, then there’s hope that 40 years from now another group of people will get together to travel and talk about how "Star Trek XII" inspired them to be astronauts, linguists, writers, actors, filmmakers, singers, lawyers, nurses, doctors, engineers, technicians, astronomers, and just better humans in general.

I don’t need to go on about what the performers said or did on the cruise. I don’t need to post photos or a video in the article. I got to listen to people talk about their experiences creating – and I can’t begin to tell you how inspiring that is.

When a person gets a glint in their eye when they talk about a new project or reminisce about their time on a show, and they really, truly talk about it with affection, you can’t help but get a little bit of the schmaltz to rub off on you. That’s where I’m at.

I can’t wait to write a little more, watch a little more DS9 and get a few pictures framed for the office, and I am really, really, really excited to immerse myself once again in the genre that somehow continues to give me such immense pleasure to play in and about.

I want to thank Gary Graham, Anthony Montgomery, Garrett Wang, Chase Masterson, Sky Conway, James Kerwin, Jennifer, Bettina, and every single Trek fan who attended the cruise. I hope and wish that you all find success in everything you do and if you don’t mind me geeking out for just a bit (although I know you don’t) …

… live long and prosper.

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/6797


0 comments: