BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 7, 2009

Star Trek's Unspoken Language
























Star Trek is a hobby for some, an obsession for others, but for one young girl, it was a special language.

Catie Osborn grew up loving Star Trek not only because it was full of exciting adventures, but also because it gave her a unique way of communicating with her dad. She learned to change the oil in her car by pretending she was working on the Enterprise's engines, and she and her father would take back roads on car trip so that they might boldly go. In Issue 217 of The Escapist, she explains how Star Trek became their own language, a shared understanding that continued even as she grew into adulthood:

It was during my freshman year that I realized I had stopped relying on my parents for care and looked to them instead for guidance. And while my dad was hesitant to offer advice lest he guide me in the wrong direction, our secret understanding of Kirk and his adventures meant he usually knew what to say. Before I left, I told my dad that I was nervous about moving away for an entire year. He looked me straight in the eye and said "Boldly go, right?" That was all I needed. It was moments like these that made me realize what Star Trek had become. It wasn't just a show to us; it was a way for us to communicate with each other.

Osborn's tale is a bittersweet and touching reminder of the myriad ways, both large and small, that our parents impact our lives. My own dad introduced me to Star Trek; he didn't enjoy The Next Generation as much as I did, though. He thought the new Enterprise was "too clean."


http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94420-Star-Treks-Unspoken-Language

0 comments: